What are the benefits of joining WOS?
As a member of the Welsh Ornithological Society you will support the one organisation dedicated solely to the study and conservation of birds in Wales.
The Welsh Ornithological Society takes action:
- To raise the profile of bird conservation in Wales through publications, social media and our website
- To engage with Welsh Assembly to improve the protection of birds in Wales, for example by restricting licences to control fish-eating birds through a stricter regime based on reliable evidence
- To support research through awards and small grants
- To publish a new comprehensive book Birds of Wales, due early 2021
- To support Curlew Cymru, as a founding partner and funder of the group giving this declining species a future.
WOS is the only organisation dedicated to birdwatchers across the whole of Wales. As a member you will:
- Receive our journal Birds in Wales , which contains papers on ground-breaking science into birds in Wales
- Receive the annual Welsh Bird Report.
- Receive a bi-monthly e-newsletter with information on conservation issues concerning birds in Wales
- Have priority booking for our Annual Conference which brings together ornithologists from across Wales and further afield at the only conference in Wales with presentations on research and studies of birds in the country and a discounted conference fee as a member
- Have online access to the annual report on Scarce and Rare Birds in Wales – only available to members
- Membership costs only £20 for one year, and covers up to two people at one address.
If you would like to become a WOS member please fill out this form completing all sections and the drop-down boxes as appropriate, click Submit and our membership secretary will contact you with payment instructions.
Five reasons for your company to join WOS as a Corporate Member
Your company can help support the work of the Welsh Ornithological Society by becoming a Corporate Member.
As well as supporting the conservation of birds in Wales (through our small grant scheme, for example), corporate members receive many benefits including access to the latest research and information on distribution of birds in Wales, information on current conservation priorities and the chance to show publicly your company’s support for bird conservation in Wales.
Specific benefits include:
- A copy of the society’s journal Birds in Wales. Published twice a year, the journal reports the latest research on birds in Wales and well as incorporating the annual Welsh Bird Report.
- Discount on attendance at the Society’s Annual Conference. These popular conferences move around Wales and are held each year in November with a themed topic reporting the latest work on bird research.
- The Society’s bi-monthly e-newsletter.
- Your Company inclusion on the Society’s website, with a link to your website.
- Access to the member’s section of the website giving a range of resources such as back issues of Birds in Wales, links to the latest consultations of relevance to birds in Wales and details of recent sightings of birds of interest.